skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Cock-a doodle-Doooooo!
My neighbor says she loves to hear the rooster crow in the mornings. It reminds her of being a girl back on the Farm. I can't honestly say the same thing. I was never a farm girl. I love to watch roosters. My rooster is especially beautiful. He has shiny copper colored feathers on his head and neck and when he gets excited the feathers stand up framing his head like a lion! His tail is dark with a turquoise shine. He is really something! However, his crowing first thing in the morning gives me mixed feelings. Especially when it is in my own back yard and dawn hasn't started to crack yet. He is a great alarm clock--gets me out of bed every time. I think, "Hey Turkey! you're waking up the neighborhood! You're stealing all the quiet!" I grab a jacket and head for the back garage door, slip my feet into some waiting shoes (I'm not picky at that time of the morning anybody's will do) and shuffle across the back yard to my chicken house. I reach in, grab my rooster and gently lift him out, and say quietly, "Hey you, you're making too much noise." Then we head back to the garage. I set him gently in the waiting apple box; he stands still and I put the lid on. It is a routine. It has been a routine since he started crowing. Occasionally I go back to bed, but usually it really is time to get up. I let him sit it out for a couple of hours til the sun really is up and I figure the neighbors are too. I figure it is the opposite of farmers who provide extra light so they get more eggs from their hens. I provide extra dark for my rooster. In return he gives me more quiet. It just resets his time clock a little. Guess I could call it Watching a rooster. He really is beautiful.
yay mom! you're a blogger!
ReplyDeleteIt looks great! Love you!
ReplyDelete